BIDIRECTIONAL UUCP (we don't have HDB)

bob at ahxenix.UUCP bob at ahxenix.UUCP
Mon Dec 8 00:38:38 AEST 1986

In article <89 at cogent.UUCP>, mark at cogent.UUCP writes:

> Does anyone know about how non-HDB UUCP can be set up to operate with
> a bidirectional device (i.e. one modem can either call out or recieve an
> incoming call without user intervention), and, if so, what modem is well
> suited for this?

I'm not familar with HP, but I can describe how I resolved your problem
on my IBM XT at home running SCO Xenix Vr2.

The first thing I did was to change the field in the L.sys file for permitted
times to call to NEVER.  With this mode set, all uucp transactions are
spooled.

I then leave port tty1A enabled for incoming calls.  When I want to dial out,
I have cron call a script to place the calls for me.  The script will check
to see if the port is in use.  You can then determine how to resolve this
situation.  The next action if the port is free is to disable the port.
Then start uucico to call whatever systems you choose.  The final item
is to enable the port.

--
Bob Leffler  -  bob at ahxenix.REL.COM

  ...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob