killing a login on Zilog

Jim Webb jrw at hropus.UUCP
Wed Dec 10 02:55:13 AEST 1986

> Every once in a while, a "login" process runs forever on our Zilog
> 8000/31 computer.  I cannot kill this process, and nobody can use
> that port.

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> I know the cause of the problem (ie. what causes the login to get
> stuck).  But, assuming that I can't make that go away, I need to
> find out how to kill this process.

Care to let us in on it?  Usually, non-killable processes are sleeping
on an event at a priority that does not recognize signals, so you have
to cause the wakeup.  If on a terminal, sometimes the brute force method
of plugging and unplugging the cable causes the hardware to awaken the
process.
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw
    "Make sure comments and code agree.  If not, write a man page..."