$@ vs. $* (was - Re: nohup (from Bourne shell))

bde at ihlpl.UUCP bde at ihlpl.UUCP
Thu Dec 11 06:58:40 AEST 1986

In article <164 at its63b.ed.ac.uk>, simon at its63b.ed.ac.uk (Simon Brown) says:
>		:
>
> So, until the fix described above (or some equivalent thereof) is official,
> its probably better just to be very careful when using $* or $@ in scripts.
> One foolproof way is to always use ${1+"$@"} in place of $* or $@ or "$@"
> - ok, its ugly, I know... :-)

Oh my goodness!  It's all a plot!

Even in UN*X, we have AT&T encouraging "1 plus" dialing of operators!

--
disclaimer: my company doesn't know I exist, let alone that I posted this.

"opinions generated by beating the keyboard with a baseball bat"
-- Bryan Ewbank, ...!ihnp4!ihlpl!bde
   ih 6M-523 / AT&T Bell Labs / Naperville, IL  60566 / USA

"opinions generated by beating the keyboard with a baseball bat"
-- Bryan Ewbank, 312/979-4296, ...!ihnp4!ihlpl!bde,
   ih 6M-523 / AT&T Bell Labs / Naperville, IL  60566 / USA