setuid shell scripts

jxs7451 at ritcv.UUCP jxs7451 at ritcv.UUCP
Mon Dec 1 13:42:43 AEST 1986

>Make that "executable", not "readable".

The problem is that for a sh or csh (not ksh i think) shell script to
execute it has to be executable AND readable.  At least on AIX as recent
as C39C and 4.3 BSD on a 780.  I don't know the big security hole in suid
scripts are, but then again I dont think RIT would want me to know because
i am just a student.  Oh well.

J. Smith
ritcv!jxs7451

The things i say here have nothing to do with my school or my former employer,
other than the fact that I use their machines.