Unix on Univac 1160

Ben Cranston zben at umd5
Sun Dec 14 11:37:53 AEST 1986

In article <1540 at uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd at uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:

> Unisys markets System V.? for 1100 series machines under the name SX/1100.

? = standard SVR2 except for shell layers, SVR3 expected 4th quarter 87.

> [something about it being a dog..]
> Another "product" called PEF (Performance Enhancement Feature) corrects
> this by increasing the efficiency of the memory allocator.  This is
> [in my opinion] a *bug fix*, but they still charge for it.

PEP is algorithms that deal with large process queues, and is even useful
if one is running 140 or more simultanious users on a NON-Unix Unisys...

> [I think their Marketing people were trying to emulate Itty Bitty
> on this one.]

Probably true...  But Big Blue made Big Bux that way, and the Unisys guys
have mortgages and hungry children to feed just like we do...
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92