One terminal <==> many processes. How?

rsr at wvucsb.UUCP rsr at wvucsb.UUCP
Fri Feb 13 01:30:07 AEST 1987

 Jim Svensson writes:

> We are looking for something that would allow a user to switch
> between several processes. This will require an update of the screen
> every time the user select a new process. Since we want this to work
> with any kind of software written for SysV, we can't relay on the
> software for doing the update. This means that we need some kind of
> screen-image of every process kept in memory, wich will be dumped on
> the screen before a new process is attached to the terminal. It
> isn't possible to make the terminal send it's screen back to the
> system. Besides the screen-image, we need a copy of the current
> stty settings.

There is a window manager program called, appropriately enough, wm.
It allows you to interactively create a number of windows,  each of which
can contain a separate process.  As you move between windows/processes, the
output on these windows is restored, so it appears just the way it was when
you last left it.

The program was sent down the net quite some time ago. Since it uses termcap,
it should work on any terminal having a termcap entry.  I'm attaching a portion
of the man for reference, below:

SEE ALSO
     R.J.K. Jacob, "User-Level Window Managers for UNIX," Proc.
     UniForum International Conference on UNIX, pp. 123-133
     (1984).

AUTHOR
     Robert J.K. Jacob
     Naval Research Laboratory