Reading BSD 4.3 tar tapes on System V

billb at amcad.UUCP billb at amcad.UUCP
Wed Feb 11 18:12:07 AEST 1987

Hello,
	We have a Burroughs XE-550 running CENTIX (System V) and have
been unable to read tapes created with tar on a VAX BSD 4.3 system.
	A couple of months ago, a public domain version of tar was
posted on the net.  I compiled this but was still unable to read these
VAX BSD 4.3 tapes.
	The only thing I can think to do now is to use the pd tar
program to create the tape on the VAX.  Maybe I will then be able to
read it.
	One other thing.  We could successfully unpack a tar archive
created under BSD 4.3 and sent via uucp with our System V tar.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Burton

UUCP: ...!seismo!husc6!amcad!billb