One terminal <==> many processes. How?

guy at gorodish.UUCP guy at gorodish.UUCP
Sun Feb 15 20:39:43 AEST 1987

>this version used nothing but pipes (like the first)

Which means it isn't going to understand terminal "ioctl"s, so it
won't know whether the process in question is running in cooked mode
or not.  This would drive me crazy (that's partially the reason why I
don't use EMACS windows and why I don't use "commandtool" except for
my console window); I tend to run plenty of non-cooked-mode programs
and I'd expect them to work.  (I also tend to do "su" fairly often,
and I expect *that* not to print my password.)

Yes, you can probably cook something up to do windows on a system so
depressingly vanilla that it doesn't have pseudo-ttys.  The question
is whether you'd want to use it; I know I wouldn't, but somebody out
there might find it to be such a big win that they'd be willing to
put up with the inconveniences.