troff cs problem stumps local experts

abrams at mitre.arpa abrams at mitre.arpa
Thu Feb 5 23:05:00 AEST 1987

I am having a problem with troff that has stumped everyone here who I
thought was an expert.  I have some figures and tables sent to me by
several non-Unix users for incorporation in a document.  When the
commitee working on the document comes to agreement, I will convert
these to pic and tbl, but in the meantime I want to include them in
the drafts being produced using troff.

I am using cs to emulate monowidth when printing these figures and
tables.  Sometime is works, sometimes it doesn't! I have constructed a
test file, attached below, to demonstrate the problem.  When I run
this thru troff -ms, the first table comes out OK, then everything breaks
until I reach the figure in section 0.0.1.  I have tried all
combinations of commands to try to trick troff into working.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Please respond
directly; I am not on this list.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

 - Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z670, Mc Lean, VA   22102

.sp 2
.KS
.nf
.cs R 24

.ce 1
B2 TABLE 2
.sp
  ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
  C  |   B2   | TS  |S,TS| TS  | S
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.sp

.fi
.KE
.sp
.KS
.cs R 24

.nf

.ce 1
B2 TABLE 1 blank line added

 ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 A  |   B2   | S   | S  | S   | S
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 B  |   B2   | C-S | C-S| S   | C
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.fi
.cs R
.KE
.sp
.KS
.ss 24
.cs R 24
.nf
.ce 1
B2 TABLE 1  also set ss
.ce 0
.sp
 ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 A  |   B2   | S   | S  | S   | S
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 B  |   B2   | C-S | C-S| S   | C
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.fi
.cs R
.ss
.KE
.sp
.KS
.br
.cs R 24
.nf
.ce 1
B2 TABLE 1  break inserted
.ce 0
.sp
 ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 A  |   B2   | S   | S  | S   | S
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 B  |   B2   | C-S | C-S| S   | C
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.fi
.cs R
.KE
.sp
.KS
.cs R 24
.nf
.ce 1
B2 TABLE 1
.ce 0
.sp
 ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 A  |   B2   | S   | S  | S   | S
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
 B  |   B2   | C-S | C-S| S   | C
----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.fi
.cs R
.KE
.sp 3
.KS
.nf
.ce 1
Center before cs
.cs R 24
.sp
  ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
  C  |   B2   | TS  |S,TS| TS  | S
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
.sp
.fi
.cs R
.KE
.KS
.nf
.cs R 24

  ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----
  C  |   B2   | TS  |S,TS| TS  | S
 ----+--------+-----+----+-----+----

.fi
.cs R
.KE
.IP 4)
After all the tables have been constructed then the
Evaluation Class of each table is compared to the Maximum and
Minimum for the Table with regard to the rules specified by
the Yellow Book.
.IP 5)
If all Tables satisfy the assurance requirements for the
Yellow Book then the Network passes the assurance
requirements.  If any of  the Tables provide a greater risk
range than is permitted by the Yellow Book then the Network
Fails.
.NH 3
Sample network and tables
.PP
Here is a copy of a sample network and the tables that are
produced for it.
.sp 2
.KS
.nf
.cs R 24

      A               B              C
     ---------       ---------       ---------
     |A1     |       |C2     |       |C2     | Network Audit
     |C-TS/ML|       |S-TS/SH|       |       | Collection
     ----^----       ----^----       ----^---- (Write-Only)
         |               |               |
         |               |               |
         |            D  |               |

         |           ----v----           |
         o----------->A1     <-----------o
         o----------->       <-----------o
         |           ---------           |
         |        MLS Packet Switch      |
         |                               |
      E  |                           F   |
     |B1   | |                       |B2     |
     |C-S/SH |                       |S-TS/ML|

.ce 1
B2 TABLE 2
.sp
  ID |  EVAL. | SND | RCV| MAX | MIN