getopt command problem: doesn't re-quote

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 06:52:18 AEST 1987

In article <274 at rabbit1.UUCP> robert at rabbit1.UUCP (Robert L. Oliver) writes:
>... the getopt command seems to have a bit of a problem.
>It doesn't "re-quote" arguments, so they get broken up incorrectly
>when parsed by the shell.

Yes, the "getopt" utility cannot be made to work right
in Bourne shell scripts.  That is why it has been replaced
with a "getopts" shell built-in in SVR3.

IEEE 1003.2 expects to adopt "getopts", not "getopt"
(assuming I get the shell specification written in time).