BSD & Sys5 Job Control

simon at its63b.UUCP simon at its63b.UUCP
Mon Feb 23 03:57:15 AEST 1987

In article <1055 at sfsup.UUCP> dcm at sfsup.UUCP (David C. Miller, consultant) writes:
>... So, no, there is no great shell that works with shell layers
>and (sigh) nothing quite like BSD job controls.  The dmd however is really
>a lot of fun.

I have posted a set of diffs for the sysV sh sources to implement job-control
using sxt-devices, to comp.sources.unix (or mod.sources, or whatever it's
called where you live :-) ). Unfortunately, this probably means it'll take
a while to get out (what with being moderated, and all), but I can't post
to net.sources (or unmoderated comp.sources.unix or whatever its called) from
here, so that's just tough.

Still, that's life for you ...

The diffs will convert your shell into one with job-control which vaguely
resembles BSD csh job-control, namely:
	fg [%job]	brings a job back to the foreground
	bg [%job]	resume a stopped job in the background
	jobs		print list of jobs
	kill [-n] %job	kill a job
	stop [%job]	stop a background job
	%job		same as "fg %job"
	%job &		same as "bg %job"
	^Z		stop the current job

There are certain differences from BSD job-control (mostly forced by the
way sxt devices work - and mostly improvements too!).

--

Simon Brown                                             @@@\