H/P Unix disk problem

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Thu Feb 5 11:57:13 AEST 1987

In article <4122 at brl-adm.ARPA>, ucscc!ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (David Vangerov) writes:
> [about an H/P 9000 machine with 10Mb hard disk and a floppy]

> Now, if he could use the floppy drive to mount a file system, then he
> would be able to use those utilities.

> According to the manual, we're supposed to do the following:
> # mknod /dev/md9122 b 0 0x070010
> # mknod /dev/rmd9122 c 4 0x070010
> Which creates the special device to mount on.

> Then we do:
> # mount /dev/md9122 /disc
> The disk drive light goes on and the disk spins for second.
> Then we get this error message:
> Bad super block magic number on /dev/md9122

> So here's the question. How do we get the 9122s built in micro floppy
> drive to work?  It should be a simple matter of doing a mknod for the
> devices and a simple mount request.

I don't know HP-UX specifically, but it sounds as though you don't have
a filesystem on the floppy.  UNIX requires that you format the disk
(which I assume you have already done) *and* that you then make a
filesystem on it.  The kernel can clearly access the disk because (a)
the light goes on and it spins when you try to use it and (b) because
the bad magic number complaint means that it didn't like what it read
off the disk, which means that it did read something.

Try reading up on mkfs(8) or newfs(8), which are programs which make
filesystems on disk devices.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu