Should we reuse mag tapes?

jnp at calmasd.UUCP jnp at calmasd.UUCP
Fri Feb 27 03:11:09 AEST 1987

> jacobo at megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

In the broadcast field (yes - I know that the recording techniques are
different - but the media isn't) it is generally accepted that used but not
worn-out tapes are best for archival storage.  Has something to do with the
original-factory-fresh erasing done, and that it takes several recording
erasing cycles to make the tape really "take" a recording well.

I have heard this arguement applied to Video tapes as well.

My guess is that - at least to some extent - it would be true for digital
tapes as well.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego