Lost Assignment of var in shell for loop with stdout redirection

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Sun Feb 8 15:50:08 AEST 1987

In article <2171 at tektools.TEK.COM> jerryp at tektools.TEK.COM (Jerry Peek) writes:
>shell variables set inside the loop won't be available outside of it.

The /bin/sh distributed with 4.nBSD (for n <= 4, at least) is a really
old, buggy, puny version of the Bourne shell.  I was going to supply a
modern version for 4.3BSD but Berkeley balked at requiring a UNIX
System V source license of their "customers".  The current edition of
the BRL SVR2 shell can be easily configured to replace a 4BSD /bin/sh.
(Info about this was posted not long ago, so I won't repeat it here.)