Korn Shell

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 15 07:15:02 AEST 1987

In article <580 at csun.UUCP> aeusesef at csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>Yes, that is true.  My problem is that I would like to alias cd, which Korn
>shell will allow me to do.  Apparantly, it looks through aliases first,
>built-ins second, functions third, and PATH fourth.  I tried making a
>function called cd, but it didn't work, and an alias called cd did work, but
>I was unable to pass parameters into it.  Any one have any suggestions?

I don't have much experience with ksh, but I have plenty with the
SVR2 shell, which ksh is supposed to be almost entirely upward-
compatible with.  Indeed, the SVR2 shell provided no way to
redefine builtins.  We have fixed that in our version, with no
apparent ill effects, and use the feature heavily (especially for
"cd").  Along the way we added V8's "builtin" and "whatis" builtins.

I don't have any patches for ksh, though.