VMS tapes -> UnixTM

Edward J Cetron cetron at utah-cs.UUCP
Wed Mar 11 03:58:37 AEST 1987

In article <1021 at houdi.UUCP> plp at houdi.UUCP (P.PFAUTZ) writes:
->I'm considering the acquisition of some speech data which is, alas, available
->only on tapes in "VAX/WMS copy mode" (6250 bpi). My system runs (surprise) UNIXtm.

	VMS copy format is nothing but ANSI standard 'D' format labelled tapes.

So.... you should be able to read them with ansitar or ansitape - I've used
both and they work just fine.  Note, it will likely be useful to enable file
name case wrapping so all your filenames don't SHOUT AT YOU.....

-ed cetron