dbm library from BSD4.3...

rick at seismo.UUCP rick at seismo.UUCP
Sun Mar 15 14:01:52 AEST 1987

ALL of the allegedly public domain dbm implementations I have seen
OBVIOUSLY contain ATT code (try diff). This explicitly includes the
4.3BSD DBM code. I have no idea how Arnold  came to the conclusion that
the code was public domain, but he obviously didn't diff the
4.3BSD code with the 32V ATT release. (Berkeley thinks it requires
an ATT license too. I asked.)

I have been looking for a dbm to distribute with the news software for 3
years. I have yet to find one that isn't obviously ATT derived (despite
what the person sending it to me says)

The "heart" of dbm is the hashing code. I've seen the rest of dbm
rewritten several times, but people always "borrow" the ATT hashing code.

---rick