Problem with spell

michaelm at bcsaic.UUCP michaelm at bcsaic.UUCP
Wed Mar 4 03:00:30 AEST 1987

Can anyone explain why I can't get Unix spell to accept "millions"?  I am
using my own spelling list (i.e. I have explicitly added "millions" to the
standard spelling list w/ "spellin"), and I have verified that "millions" is
in the hash table using "spellout."  Likewise, it is not in the stoplist, as
verified by "spellout."  But "spell" rejects it.  Explicitly:

	54 % spellout grammar.spelling.hash #my hashed spelling list
	millions
(Note that "spellout" does not echo "millions", indicating that it is in
the spelling hashlist)
	55 % spellout grammar.stop.hash
	millions
	millions
(This time "spellout" echoes "millions", indicating that it is not in the stop
hashlist)
	56 % spell -d grammar.spelling.hash -s grammar.stop.hash
	millions
(^D here)
	millions

How can "spell" reject it when "spellout" accepts it?
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Advanced Technology Center
	arpa: michaelm at boeing.com