vi shell escape problem

Richard Klappal rlk at chinet.UUCP
Sat Apr 16 13:36:25 AEST 1988

In article <1409 at mpre.UUCP> parker at mpre.UUCP (Ross Parker) writes:
>... We have been noticing a problem lately with vi running under
>Ultrix 2.0. What happens is that when shell escapes (for filtering
>portions of the edit buffer) are done, they leave zombie processes
>hanging around that don't die until the edit session is completed.

I have noticed this problem in some vi
implementations as well.

On those implementations, doing a true shell escape,
such as
	:!sh
	^D
gets rid of the zombies.  Don't know if it will work for you,
but its simple enough to try.

No if the porters would only put the wait() statement into vi ...

--
---
UUCP: ..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk || MCIMail: rklappal || Compuserve: 74106,1021