user name in /etc/passwd GCOS field

Douglas B. Jones douglas at dcc1.UUCP
Thu Apr 28 05:01:26 AEST 1988

In article <1361 at lznv.ATT.COM> psc at lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>Some >members of another group in the area have suggested ending before the
>first parenthesis, but stripping off everything before (and including)
>a hyphen.  Either way, a system-wide parameter would control whether
>mail would use this legible name.
>Since these (optional) changes are intended for the UNIX System V
>Release 4 implementation of /bin/mail, I'd greatly appreciate your
>comments.
>-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
>AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc at lznv.att.com
>I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

I would not use a hyphen (-) as a delimiter. Some names have hyphens in
them. Possibly some foreign names. In the case of a female who gets married;
she might take her husbands' last name and her last name, combine them with
a hyphen between the two. I HAVE seen this!

Douglas

--
Douglas B. Jones			seismo!gatech!dcc1!douglas
DeKalb College				douglas at dcc1