pushing back the bounds of ignorance

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Apr 21 08:39:42 AEST 1988

In article <28177 at linus.UUCP> jfjr at mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) writes:
>  We are doing some plotting on Suns (screendump|rasfilter8to1|lpr -v)
>This works sometimes. Sometimes (when others are logged in)
>this gets confused and we get various error messages
>having to do with problems with valloc, /dev/fb etc.

I saw several replies, but none correct.  You are running out of swap
space.

>  Is this normal? must we live with this or is there a fix?

In a way, it is normal; but it is no fun.  You can add more swap space
or wait for SunOS 4.0.

>ps what is a "magic cookie"

(begin :-) )

The derivation should be obvious: `magic', or `opposite of
scientific': based on nothing sensible.  `cookie': something that
looks tasty, but has no nutritional value, and eating too many of which
will make you feel ill.  Hence `magic cookie': a dumb, valueless thing
which will make you sick, but which looks good on paper or in the
marketing department.  :-)