PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL and Accounting Pa Applications

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Tue Apr 5 02:54:41 AEST 1988

In article <3640 at dasys1.UUCP>, tbetz at dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>      After looking around a bit, the PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL package has
> caught my interest very strongly.  I have yet to speak to a developer
> who has used it who has a bad word to say about it...  and there are a
> lot of accounting packages out there with the capabilities I need
> already written for it.

We have been using Progress for about 2 years.  We are primarily a mail order
business (we sell UNIX pocket references and related stuff) and maintain a
database of customers and non-customers.  We have bookstore accounts which
need followups and also sell software that needs followup calls.

We use progress to handle that database.  All the applications were written
from scratch, many by me.  I am really pleased with both the ease of getting
the job done and the speed of the system.  I started writing stuff when we had
the test drive (then $50).

As consultants, we have recommended Progress to others.  Everyone I know who
has used it is very satisfied.  Also, their support is amazing.  When you call
with a problem, if they are busy they say they will call you back.  And, they
do.  Maybe 30 minutes later.  They also publish a bug list.
--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl