mailx <-> smail incompatibilities

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Mon Apr 11 14:26:06 AEST 1988

IN article <1040 at woton.UUCP>, riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) wrote:
> Is there any way, short of keeping redundant alias lists in both the
> "mailx.rc" and "aliases" files, to convince mailx to pass simple
> unrecognized addresses on to smail?  (I'm encouraged by the fact that
> I've also installed smail on our 3B1 UNIX PCs and haven't noticed this
> problem with the 3B1 version of mailx.)

In your .mailrc file, add

set sendmail=/bin/mail

and mailx will stop trying to figure out if you've really got the named user
locally.  I personally use

set sendmail=/usr/local/lib/news/recmail

so that my .signature is appended to the mail (that's the usenet recmail).

> (2) Has anyone noticed a case of mailx developing indigestion when
> replying to mail sent by smail?  Our mailx goes into an apparently
> infinite loop if a user tries to reply with the "r" command to all
> recipients of a previous message.

I've never seen the "re" command work right.  I always use "Re" and manually
add other recipients.

BTW: If you try to use smail with SysVr3 mailx, it won't work, because the
SysVr3 mailx uses the new -s option to /bin/mail, which smail doesn't know
about.  I have a patch to svbinmail from smail 2.5 that correctly emulates
the -s option of /bin/mail, and passed the rest of the non-sending flags
to /bin/lmail (such as -F): in short, makes smail SysVr3 compatible.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!uastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746