uname(2) on Altos 2000?

David Taylor taylor at hermes.ai.mit.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:22:45 AEST 1988

The node name returned by uname *IS* stored in the kernel.  It's *NOT*
in the superblock.  If you have the development system, then you should
be able to easily set the name.  It's documented somewhere in the stuff
for reconfiguring the kernel...

[Check the stuff dealing with the config command and the master and xenxiconf
files.  One of the files will have a line that reads: ``nodename ""''.
Change it and rerun config.  Alternatively, if you feel comfortable with
adb, you can adb it -- I believe the structure returned by uname is called
uname or somethimg similar (all I remember for sure, is that its name was
obvious when I did an nm...).]

And if your version is 2.2.1 (possibly 2.2.0 -- it's been awhile since I last
used Xenix) or later, then there's a utility to set it without needing the
development system.  If I remember right it's called configure.

In 2.1.*, they documented that none of the current utilities used uname(2)
-- instead they used /etc/systemid.  I don't know how this changes in later
versions.

David
--
David Taylor