AT&T and SUN Unix

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.UNM.EDU
Fri Apr 15 15:32:21 AEST 1988

In article <10430 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>Let's look at where standards originate currently:

Ummm...

>	SysV	AT&T

Right so far.

>	BSD	Sun (sorry, they seemed to have loaned B enough
>		programmers to get 4.3 out the door)

Not right.  Let's see if we can figure it out: BSD = Berkeley Software
Distribution.  Hmmmm...I wonder who does this?  Berkeley perhaps?

>	Xenix	Microsoft (in terms of licenses sold they are
>		the leader, no matter what you think of the hardware)

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

>  And who's doing the combined version? Same three. Motorola will be
>doing some things, too, but I either forgot or never knew.

Ummm...nope.  *Sun*, AT&T, and Microsoft.  Not Berkeley.

>  What would I like? Fast file system, streams, NFS and RFS, sockets,
>TCP/IP, shared memory, SysV semaphores (reliable), shared memory, and
>named pipes. SysV paging algorithm, HDB uucp, Xenix system
>administration tools.

Wait for 4.4BSD.  From what I hear:
Fast file system
streams
Berkeley RFS (made stateless)
sockets
TCP/IP
Berkeley shared memory (SysV sematics through a library)
Named pipes (a/k/a portals)

Hmmm...
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
14308 Skyline Rd NE				Computer Science Dept.
Albuquerque, NM  87123		OR		Farris Engineering Ctr.
	OR					University of New Mexico
mike at turing.unm.edu				Albuquerque, NM  87131
{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike