kermit

Jeff Troeger troeger at ttidca.TTI.COM
Tue Apr 12 02:19:59 AEST 1988

In article <914 at stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> rk at cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <715 at btnix.UUCP> crouch at btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>>I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>>lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
>>IBM end).
>I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
>MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files
>as ascii, then uudecode on MS-DOS.  This always works.  Of course, it
>assumes that you have uudecode available on MS-DOS.  I do have such and
>will post it if requested.  I got it from the net myself some months ago.

I have been downloading binary files using kermit for > 5 years now without
any problems. Chris's problem is with trying to use the "get" command while
in server mode. The command to use should be "receive" if you are going to
use the server. For binary files you also need to specify the -i switch
when invoking kermit, or setting the file type to binary when in the
interactive mode.
(.
(.
(. This