Pseudo-Terminals Forever

Asa Romberger asa at unisoft.UUCP
Wed Apr 6 01:58:53 AEST 1988

In article <38 at etl.ARPA> richr at etl.arpa. (Rich Rosenthal) writes:
>    For a change of pace, on one of the pseudo-terminals
>    I exec'ed login and latter logged out.
>
>    Result.  The account 'news' is still logged in 5 days latter, but,
>    there are zero (0) processes associated with the login.

I have had the same problem with a different psdeudo-terminal package.
The problem is probably that the programs that were running on the pseudo-
terminal managed to exit without cleaning up /etc/utmp. The only way that I
found to cure the problem was to write a program that looked for that entry
in /etc/utmp and clear the ut_type field.