UNIX or Unix

T.W. Beattie twb at hoqax.UUCP
Sat Apr 16 00:10:54 AEST 1988

In article <1052 at mcgill-vision.UUCP>, mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
> >> [Trademarks can go generic]
> > I believe the list of trademarks-gone-generic includes aspirin,
> > linoleum, cellophane, trampoline, probably lots others; my guess is
> > that Jacuzzi and Magic Marker are the next to fall.
>
> I'd put Band-Aid right up there.  It's either fallen or it's on its
> way.  I don't know anyone, including myself, who calls them anything
> but band-aids, even when they aren't Band-Aid(R)s.  (Except, of course,
> for other companies who make the things.)  Skil-Saw and Easy-Out are

Add Kleenex to the list.
These only become generic terms if the owner of the trademark lets them.
As long as J&J refers to Band-aid Brand adhesive bandages in their ads and
other documents and take reasonable effort to protect the trademark from other
companies infringement it stays a trademark.

Regardless of how you (or I use the term).
Tombo