AWK on a PC?

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sun Dec 11 14:22:35 AEST 1988

In article <583 at cf-cm.UUCP> sme at computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Simon Elliott) writes:
 >> Check the ads in Byte Magazine.  Someone is selling a program called
 >> PolyAWK for the PC.   I don't know any of the details, but if you like
 >> AWK, the ad makes this sound like a real good product.
 >
 >I know of two other possibilities:
 >GNU AWK (GAWK) was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a while ago; it should be in
 >the archives.  There was an update called GAWK 1.03 also.  Source and binary.
 >
 >The other implementation is mentioned in 'The AWK Programming Language' by
 >Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan (Addison Wesley, 1988).  They (AT&T? A-W?)
 >do an implementation of AWK for PC's, including the 1985 revisions to the
 >language (functions, new builtins, ...)

Actually, I heard a while ago that the version of AWK for the PC referred to
in the book is the MKS implementation.

A small model version comes as part of the MKS Toolkit ($199 from MKS, ca. $169
from various mailorder sources like Programmer's Connection.).

A large model version is sold separately by MKS for $99 (seen for $79 in
mailorder ads)

MKS can be reached by email as follows: uunet!watmath!mks!toolkit
By phone: 800-265-2797 (US) or 519-884-2251 (elsewhere)

Disclaimer: I have no connection with MKS except as a satisfied customer.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD