UNIX System V Release n

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Wed Dec 7 14:01:27 AEST 1988

In article <9089 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

>For example, sockets
>and streams are the two fundamental network connection technologies, and
>it is even possible that in SVR4 sockets are emulated via streams.

Well, to be more precise, sockets and streams are not at the same level
of abstraction. Streams are a general mechanism for implementing
a wide variety of communication protocols and IPCs. Sockets are a much
higher level abstraction and can be implemented in terms of (or on top of)
streams. This is how SVR4 will do it.

I don't know what you mean by sockets being "emulated via streams".
You can provide a socket library to present the same interface as
the socket related system calls in BSD. The point is that they don't
need be in the kernel anymore.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com