clearing the terminal screen

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.biin.com
Thu Dec 22 06:57:20 AEST 1988

In article <1908 at ogccse.ogc.edu>, schaefer at ogccse (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
| Try using
|
|     setenv CLEAR `clear | tr -d '\0'`
|
| I'm not positive that will work, but it has a fighting chance. :-)

It's simpler than that: tr(1) deletes ALL nulls, regardless of your
command line arguments.  So, to use this undocumented feature:

    setenv CLEAR "`clear | tr`"

Simple, eh?

Disclaimer: I've given up my csh(1) guru card about six months ago
(about the same time I gave up my vi(1) guru card and went to GNU
Emacs).  'setenv' syntax should thus be checked carefully; use at your
own risk. :-) (However, the trick about tr should allow me to renew my
UN*X Guru Card, eh guys?)
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),