Why shouldn't ^J (linefeed) be used as a command in an application?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 16:00:22 AEST 1988

 >Zebu, our records management product uses ^M to get to the next field
 >and ^J to get to a secondary record.  We have been using it this way
 >at SSC since 1983 and have been selling it for almost as long with no
 >problems/complaints.  Did I miss something as to why this could be a
 >problem?

Well, you appear to have missed the last sentence of my statement:

>> The main problem is if you have a terminal that can't send them both...

I think there really are such terminals.

However, most terminals don't have this problem, which is probably why
you haven't had any complaints.  With any luck, you never will.