? Can I Use the DES from UNIX passwd Source code?

The Polymath hollombe at ttidca.TTI.COM
Tue Dec 20 12:23:44 AEST 1988

In article <8557 at alice.UUCP> ark at alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
}In article <3600017 at hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimb at hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) writes:
}> The passwd uses a DES algorithm, and I believe the algorithm is public
}> domain, but if I used the algorithm from the source code of passwd in
}> another product, do I need to worry about copyright?
}
}Yes you do.

Not only that, the passwd encryption doesn't use a pure DES algorithm
(it's "perturbed" with a "salt" variable).  Furthermore, it's deliberately
coded in an inefficient manner to discourage is use in cracking password
files.  Thus, you probably don't want to use it anyway if you want
Real(tm) DES encryption.

Your best bet is to get the specs for the DES algorithm and code your own
routine.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe at ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum