System 5.3.1 signal() replacement?

Wade Guthrie evil at arcturus.UUCP
Sat Dec 3 03:09:22 AEST 1988

In article <7997 at dasys1.UUCP>, treed at dasys1.UUCP (Timothy Reed) writes:
> I don't have access to a 5.3.1 system, but I understand that signal()
> has been replaced by a new set of signal handlers.  Could someone kindly

While we're talking about signal(), I got the impression that the behavior
of signal handling functions was operating system dependent (e.g. AT&T
UNIX causes the programmer installed signal handler to be replaced by
the system routine when the signal in question occurs, but BSD UNIX does
not replace the programmer's routine).  I noticed in an article about the
dpANS (am I correct in assuming that this means something like the
draft of the proposed ANSI standard?) the signal function -- how is the
behavior of this specified, is it specified in a portable fashion or do
they leave it up to the operating system?

Enquiring minds want to know

Wade Guthrie
Rockwell International
Anaheim, CA

(Rockwell doesn't necessarily believe / stand by what I'm saying; how could
they when *I* don't even know what I'm talking about???)