Does anyone still use Multics??

DugalJP jpd at usl-pc.usl.edu
Tue Dec 6 06:44:03 AEST 1988

In article <9062 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>Are there any sites out there that run Multics??  Is there any source code
>
>I think MULTICS is still in use and available (for a stiff fee) from
>Honeywell.  It was written primarily in PL/I.

Multics is indeed still in use.  Our two-processor L68/80 Multics is over
13 years old now, but stuck at release MR10.2 forever.  Honeywell Bull
dropped plans to build new faster hardware to support Multics, and was
involved with the University of Calgary in investigating moving key
systems software to Unix, as a migration path.  I sure would love to
have vfile_ running under Unix!

-- James

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!jpd
Associate Director		Internet: jpd at usl.edu
Computing Center		US Mail: PO Box 42770  Lafayette, LA  70504
University of Southwestern LA.	Tel. 318-231-6417	U.S.A.