signals to running processes

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Thu Dec 1 18:41:21 AEST 1988

>SIGUSR1 is 16 under System V, so you either made a typo or you're
>using a BSD system.  MY RESPONSE WILL NOT HELP YOU IF YOU USE
>BSD UNIX,

Not so fast:

	bootme% egrep SIGUSR1 /usr/include/sys/signal.h
	#define SIGUSR1 30      /* user defined signal 1 */
	bootme% egrep shmat /usr/lib/lint/llib-lc
	char *  shmat(i, a, f) char *a; { return (a); }

There are several systems that come to mind that 1) have SIGUSR1 as 30
(by virtue of having picked up the 4.3BSD signal set) and 2) have
"shmat" (by virtue of having picked up System V IPC).  SunOS releases
3.2 and later have both; I think Ultrix has "shmat" and probably has
SIGUSR1 as 30 as well.