ksh and System 5

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 10 09:15:46 AEST 1988

In article <1575 at ssc.UUCP> fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Microport includes ksh.  Anyone know the facts behind the rumors?

The real Korn shell is the property of AT&T and is available for
sublicensing.  Presumably Microport paid the sublicensing fees.

You can get ksh sources from the AT&T UNIX System ToolChest for
site-wide use for a reasonable fee (a couple of thousand $ as I
recall).  The ToolChest also offers sublicensing arrangements
for additional fees.

Some release of UNIX System V may include ksh (it wasn't in SVR3.0,
and I don't know what has been added through SVR3.2).

It is possible that somebody has a compatible implementation of
ksh not based on AT&T sources, but I don't know of any.