ENVIRONMENT settings

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Dec 9 17:47:14 AEST 1988

In article <76 at notrees.ACA.MCC.COM> unniks at notrees.ACA.MCC.COM (C. Unnikrishnan) writes:
>main (argc, argv, envp)

Don't do this.
1.  Not all UNIX implementations support it.
2.  Very few non-UNIX C implementations support it.
3.  POSIX (IEEE 1003.1) doesn't require it.
4.  ANSI C (X3.159) doesn't require it.
5.  POSIX provides a global variable "environ" if you need to examine
    the environment rather than just look up a particular value.
6.  All recent UNIX implementations I know of support "environ".
7.  ANSI C requires support for getenv() to look up a particular value.
8.  All recent UNIX implementations I know of support getenv().