remote background jobs

Richard Childers childers at avsd.UUCP
Thu Dec 8 06:36:12 AEST 1988

In article <1103 at smidefix.liu.se> pausv at smidefix.liu.se (Paul Svensson) writes:

>Problem: How do I start a background server process on another machine?

I've had success with the following format :

	rsh hostname "(commmand ; command -flag arg arg) &"

... or

	rsh hostname "(commmand ; command -flag arg arg) &" >& /dev/null

... if you're disinclined towards seeing process IDs ...

>I'd be thankful for any help, but if you're going to barf RTFM -
>  _please_ at least give me a hint where to look :-)

The most educational thing to do in circumstances like this is to just 'play'.
Play with it, make some mistakes, look for patterns, until you've got the
mechanism figured out. It's almost faster than reading the manual sometimes.

>Paul Svensson			psv at ida.liu.se			SM5SJS

-- richard

--
 *                        Black holes are out of sight                        *