fpcc's name is not cc!!

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Mon Feb 15 17:46:41 AEST 1988

In article <214 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

> I have the floating point C compiler, fpcc, on my 3B2 (SVr3.0) but do
> not have cc.  I tried linking fpcc to ccso I can avoid editing every
> makefile that comes down the pike, but the system says (when I invoke
> cc) "name must end in fpcc".  Is there Aa way around this?  Thanks.

I posted a more detailed reply to Peter, but a summary is probably
relevant here.  In makefiles, it is a really good idea to use $(CC),
$(AS), $(LD) etc. everywhere instead of cc, as, ld, etc.  If you do
the former, you can put:

	CC=fpcc ; export CC

in your /etc/profile and everything will work and stay portable at
the same time.  These are all defined by make anyway so if you don't
define them they go to reasonable defaults (do "make -d" to see what
works on your machine).

     For you Microport fans, you may find that doing:

	CC='cc -Ml' ; export CC
	AS='as -Ml' ; export AS
	LD='ld -Ml' export LD
	LINT='lint -Ml' ; export LINT

may make live easier as well. This, of course, presumes that you
do most of your work in the large model: we do because our Informix
database library modules are large.  Does anybody have other
experience on this topic?
--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY   uucp:  {uunet, attmail}!vsi!friedl
V-Systems, Inc.             CSnet: friedl%vsi.uucp at kent.edu
39 Brookhollow Drive        voice: (714) 545-6442
Santa Ana, CA  92705-5440   "A Watched EPROM never burns".