Mag Tape Duplication Problems

russ russ at wpg.UUCP
Mon Feb 15 17:10:40 AEST 1988

After hearing me brag about how great unix "tools" are for doing just
about everything, a friend of mine asked me to duplicate a reel of
nine-track tape that was estimated to contain app. 60 megs of data.

Although I only have one nine track drive, I do have a cartridge streamer
(20 megs) so I naively assumed that I could read and write the contents of
the nine-track in 20 meg segments to three separate cartridge tapes and
then concatenate the three cartridge tapes back onto a new reel of
nine-track tape.  I had figured that if 'dd' couldn't handle it, a
simple-minded program (on the order of while getchar (putchar) would be
able to do the job.

Apart from my profound ignorance of whatever it is that passes for
sentinel-like characters on tape devices, one of the things I didn't plan
on was that the tape turned out to contain, not one big file, but rather a
zillion or so small files that appear to range from two to seven blocks in
length.

I suppose I could repetitiously invoke 'dd' while keeping track of the
total number of blocks, but I keep wondering what will happen if we get
down to the end of a cartridge tape and then come across a five meg file.

Any suggestions about how this thing could be handled "elegantly"?

--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, POB 306, Metairie, LA 70004
AT&T:   +1 504 456 0001          COMPUSERVE: 72337,3261