Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

R.P.Almeida rpa at eagle.ukc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 29 03:41:38 AEST 1988

This is NOT an definite or authorative UKC reply, as i'm a student here.

UUPC works fine when talking to UUUCP using 'g' protocol.
 The only thing that needed altering was the timeout after UUPC has
requested my HAYES compatible modem to dial, till it has connected.
 That was becuase we still have to use pulse dialing in most of the UK,
and obviously that takes much longer then tone dialing.

 UKUUCP also has an extra feature enabling communications over non
8 bit networks. (datawidth code)

 On sites running UKUUCP here, there can be 5 'uucp' logins :-
             uucp uucp4 uucp6 uucp7 uucpf

 If you have a 4 bit datapath, then you log in as 'uucp4' , a 7 bit path
then 'uucp7' etc.
 These logins have default shells of  uucico , uucico.4 , uucico.6
uucico.7 and uucico.f  respectively.  All five of these are infact links
to the same program (uucico).
 uucico looks at the name it was called by, and sets its datawidth
appropriatly.
  uucico.f uses a flow control protocol for working over links that are
(almost) error free. (eg direct links or X25 links) using a 7 bit wide
protocol.

 I suppose this was added to UKUUCP because most of the UK's universities
are connected together by a X25 network called JANET.

 I had started to add code to do the above 'datawidth' stuff to UUPC , working
on my Amiga, but then my Amiga broke, and now my Finals have caused the idea
to be shelved. (probably permanantly, as soon i shall no longer be a student).

 Richard Almeida.

 !mcvax!ukc!rpa
 rpa at ukc.UUCP
 rpa at ukc.ac.uk

This is virtually all from memory, so i hope its accurate.