wait3 emulation in SYSTEMV ?? - (nf)

jh at pcsbst jh at pcsbst
Mon Feb 1 19:59:00 AEST 1988

Ok, flame me!

Indeed, SRV[32] allows killing of a zombi process (see AT&T code).
This is not what I expected, maybe I got mixed up with some BSD
code. Excuse me for the noise.
Thus, my suggestion of a pseudo-wait3() has to go to /dev/null.

However, looking some more into the code, one finds that the
process group of a zombi process is set to 0 (surprise?!).
Which leads me to the conclusion that if a processes indead
calls setprgp() you can test its state by

	kill (-childpid, 0)

provided that the process did not create some children
which did not call setpgrp().

Having burned may fingers once, I do no suggest any scheme based on this
fact. However, one question: where is the consistency here?!

	Johannes Heuft
	unido!pcsbst!jh