How to download from BBS using Xmodem

alejandro hernandez ahernan at brahms.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Feb 6 13:03:58 AEST 1988

I've got a version of Xmodem for UNIX, but I'm not sure how to go about
using it. Let me first explain how I do things on an PC, and then describe
my difficulties in accomplishing the same task on UNIX systems.

Let's say I'm calling a BBS to download some software. I would use say
Kermit or Smartcom II.  I log on the BBS and look for something to download.
After I find the particular arc'ed file on the BBS, and ask the machine to
send it to me, I would do a escape to my local machine---the PC---and start
kermit or Xmodem to receive the file.  Works just fine.

Now let's suppose I'm on a UNIX machine.  I usually dial out using tip or
kermit.  If I use tip to call the BBS and make the connection, I would also
log on and find a file and ask the remote machine to start downloading.  Then
I'd do a shell escape in tip by typing:
		~!
I go back to my local machine, and perhaps try something like
		xmodem -rb filename
to ask xmodem to receive the file....Only it doesn't work!  I can't seem to
get Xmodem to work right.  What am I doing wrong here?  I would prefer to
use Xmodem over Kermit, as it transmits quite a bit faster, and not all BBSs
use Kermit.

Alex
ahernan at brahms.Berkeley.EDU