Questions about nroff/troff

Roger Collins rogerc at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
Thu Feb 25 06:26:17 AEST 1988

First, complaints:
When I have a table with double rules, only a single rule gets printed on
a laser printer.  (The single rule is overstriked once.)  Also, the vertical
lines do not meet exactly with the horizontal lines.  Tbl appears to produce
output that says go up 1 point; draw single rule; go down 2 points and draw
another single, thus producing the double rule.

My question:
Does nroff even TRY (given a complete /usr/lib/term/* table) to move,
vertically or horizontally, points at a time?  Apparently not.

Another question:
Is there a way of defining a printer table for troff like /usr/lib/term/* is
to nroff?

My goal is to print fancy tables and fonts and stuff on a NCR 6416 laser
printer, preferably in the more powerful ISO mode, using tbl/eqn/nroff/troff,
and the output look more like a laser printer instead of a dumb line printer.
Is anyone doing this?  What are my alternatives?  Any public domain filters
that replace troff?  I am running SysV.3.

--
Roger Collins
NCR - E&M Columbia - TOWER Systems Development