dial in / out on same line

Barnacle Wes wes at obie.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 15:35:37 AEST 1988

In article <3015 at lll-winken.llnl.gov>, casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
> In article <10354 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> > Nonetheless, I believe two devices is most appropriate.  After all,
> > the modem is, virtually speaking, two devices!
>
>                                        ...But fundamentally you're right,
> we're talking about two different pseudo devices which are implemented on
> the same physical device.  Sorry for the stones.

Right.  As a matter of fact, MicroPort supports different 'pseudo
devices' for the tty ports in their '286 and '386 System V: /dev/tty0
also maps to /dev/ttym0 and /dev/ttyM0.  You can run a getty on M0,
and call out on m0.  If anything but getty (i.e. a login process) has
M0 open, the m0 open will fail.  When m0 is opened, the M0 process
just blocks until m0 is closed.  Clever, and works pretty well.

--
	{backbones}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes

	"Against Stupidity, The Gods Themselves Contend in Vain."
							-- Asimov