layers vs SunView (was: Will X Windows be standard part...)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Feb 11 11:37:19 AEST 1988

In article <17930 at topaz.rutgers.edu> ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Be it what it may, Doug.  Telneting from a layer on the 3B2/dmd combination
>hangs.

Yes, in follow-up (off-line) mail, I was told of the many problems that
the DMD software on the 3B2 apparently has.  I don't know why in the world
AT&T wouldn't do a better job than that; one gets the feeling they're not
serious about selling either computers or terminals.  I hope their 630
software support is better than that!

Of course, as you know, BRL uses our own rendition of AT&T's DMD software,
since we mostly have 4.nBSD-based systems and AT&T didn't offer a package
for that environment.  At least the formerly-Teletype folks have arranged
for a 4.nBSD distribution for the 630 software to be available.  (The work
was apparently mostly done at UCSD.  I was supposed to help, but due to
local circumstances was unduly delayed.  Eventually there will be a BRL
version of the 630 software, since the UCSD one is aimed at the native
Berkeley environment, whereas I do software development in the System V
environment, which I much prefer.)