Accessing files by inode #s

Robert Maxwell maxwell at ablnc.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 2 00:43:46 AEST 1988

In article <3258 at psuvax1.psu.edu>, schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) writes:
> In article <530 at celerity.UUCP> jjw at celerity.UUCP (Jim (JJ) Whelan) writes:

> >The find will traverse file mount points so you may locate files in file
> >systems other than the one you are interested in.  Be especially careful
> >with using "rm -f" as the command.
>
> If you are playing with "-inum" it is probably a good idea to use "-xdev"
> also, if you want to prevent find from traversing other filesystems.
> Do all versions of find support -xdev?  4.3BSD and SunOS3.4 find have it,
> at any rate.

System V doesn't have the -xdev option, but recent versions, at least on the
3B2-600 and 3B15 have a -mount option which does the same thing. My users
manual for the 3B15 R2.1 doesn't document it, but the option exists in
R2.1.1.

As the new versions of Sys V are released, I assume the option will
show up on other systems.

.