fpcc's name is not cc!!

Bob Devine devine at cookie.dec.com
Wed Feb 17 10:50:09 AEST 1988

In article <214 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> I have the floating point C compiler, fpcc, on my 3B2 (SVr3.0) but do
> not have cc.  I tried linking fpcc to ccso I can avoid editing every
> makefile that comes down the pike, but the system says (when I invoke
> cc) "name must end in fpcc".  Is there Aa way around this?  Thanks.

  The best way is to make the compiler call a symbol so that other
compilers can be used.  If you want to have portable makefiles, do this!

  Since you don't want to correct everyone's mistakes, you can just
use a script file called 'cc' that calls 'fpcc'.  Argument passing
may be tricky but it's your choice of evils.

  An old dictum: Any problem can be solved with another layer of indirection....