Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Mon Jan 25 16:56:29 AEST 1988

>>You *cannot* increase the packet size beyond its current limit of 64.
>
>What if both sides have increased their buffer & packet sizes?

It works just fine. Or, at least it does using 4.3BSD.

>And why don't the two cico's negotiate packet size in addition to window size?

They try to. But the packet negotiation code is broken, and fixing it renders
you incompatible with standard 'g'. We just lucked out that window size nego-
tiation works.

>Are we ready for 'h' protocol (or whatever letter we're up to?) :-)

Rick Adams did a protocol called 'G' that fixed the 'g' bugs. We were consid-
ering it as a way to improve throughput on the Telebit TrailBlazer, but Peter
Honeyman's 'g' in the modem made this unnecessary. I'm now looking at the Z-
modem streaming protocol, since it is a win on X.25 as well as on packetized
modems.  Even the new & improved 'G' is excessively expensive over X.25 PDNs.

>In article <13668 at pyramid.pyramid.com>
>You like to publicize that name, huh?  :-) :-)

Well, it certainly makes more sense than dec.pyramid.com, or hp.pyramid.com,
or cci.pyramid.com, or gould.pyramid.com, or.... :-) :-)

<csg>